[Ansteorra] Feasts and Special Diets (was History/Enculturation/Cliquishnes

karen moon karenmoon at msn.com
Mon Apr 22 20:39:39 PDT 2002

If and how a cook obliges dietary requirements is usually left up to the cook.  Some cooks will do it, some won't.  Obviously, not all dietary requirements can be obliged, and certain kinds of feasts are easier to "fix" than others.  A Scandinavian type feast, for instance, with all its cream, sour cream, cheese, etc. is not the sort of thing that can be "fixed" for the lactose intolerant.  You either bring your own food, say "to heck with it" and dive in or you stick to the roast and the pickled beets.

I think one of the best ideas I've seen has been for the cook to "publish" the feast menu and ingredients -- usually in the Black Star or on the event website, and on an easel or posterboard outside the kitchen.  That way people with food allergies and antipathies can easily find out if they want to partake of feast.

Mari