[Ansteorra] Late Night Court

mike young uther at lcc.net
Tue Apr 23 04:17:28 PDT 2002

> --
> >>        What can be done?  If we could start feast promptly at 6:00 and
be
> done by 7:30, start Court by 8:00 and end by 10:00 that would be a huge
> improvement.  If we must start feast later than 6:00 or if they have to
run
> for hours then do court before feast.  I've suggested this several times
> locally and the cooks hate the idea.  The response is that court will run
> long and delay the feast.  It doesn't have to.  If feast is going to be at
> 7:00 then I see no reason we can't have a 5:00 court with an absolute
ending
> time, finished or not, of no later than 6:30.  If we're not finished then
we
> can have another, shorter, court after feast.

As a cook in this Kingdom for 16 years now, I can tell you that I have
waited more feasts on those in charge of running court than I can count.
Having feast AFTER court is a nightmare for the cook because you can never
tell how long it will last and you can only keep the food "ready to serve"
for so long before it is ruined.
I've always wanted to have a more period approach to this whole feast/court
thing and do court DURING feast.
I've seen it done a few times and think it works well...just take a lot more
coordination between the Crown and the cook.
gwyenth