[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

Rhodes-walden, Jennifer Jennifer.Rhodes-walden at usa.xerox.com
Wed Apr 24 08:52:34 PDT 2002

My dear ladies and gentlemen,

This is, unfortunately, a two way street - those who offer assistance and
those who are (like me) too independently obstinate to accept it. I wish I
could offer a possible solution; I cannot.

Not all gentlemen or ladies ignore those in need of assistance, and Sir
Pendaran is entirely right in that such offers can be rebuffed; sometimes
with a less than polite refusal. I gather that some of these generous
gentles have since ceased to offer assistance, for who wishes to have their
actions treated so? On the other side of the proverbial coin, there are
those who may not see the need for assistance and therefore do not consider
the matter.

This being the case, I can only take responsibility for my own actions. Sir
Pendaran, Michael of the Fray, other gentlemen and ladies, if you offer me
your assistance (and I am frequently in need of it), I will make a point of
either accepting it or providing you with a gracious refusal. If I see a
lady or a gentleman in need of assistance, I will do my best to see that
need and do what I can to help them.

Sir Pendaran, Lady Innes and Duchess Willow (in addition to other good
gentles on this list) have made a valid point of stating that the best way
to alter a situation that displeases is to lead by example. I see the truth
in their statement, and will accept their words as a challenge to improve
myself, reviving the courtesy and chivalry for which many of us joined the
SCA. And should we all rise to this challenge, we may yet overcome the
problem presented.

I may be speaking out of turn, and presuming a great deal of others. I only
hope that the example becomes the norm, and not the exception.

Elysia