[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

J.G. Bretz b3zsgirl at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 10:04:35 PDT 2002

> It is possible to bring quite small children to events, and camping
events.
> Planning is the key (isn't it always? <G>) Pets are a little more
difficult,
> with many events publishing "No pets" on the event announcements.

My toddler is quite precocious.  He wants constant attention from someone,
and will only tolerate being passed off to a friend for only so long.  I
either baby sit at home in the comfort of air conditioning, or baby sit in
the heat, while trying to keep him from running to his father on the field.
I have no desire to baby sit my sun at a constant run at an event.  I come
home crankier than he does.  We are going to try it again for a few hours at
Squires, but I think I am going to regret it.

> One reason folks have tended to pack up and leave Saturday evening is that
> there's nothing to stay for on Sundays. Sundays in the Old Days (<G>) were
> for pick-up fights, socializing, and other not-so-structured things when
> events were less plentiful and there were people there you hadn't seen in
> six months. Perhaps some of the event's activities could be planned for
> Sunday as well as Saturday.

I am with Gunnora on the laundry thing.  I have to get some modicum of order
in place by Monday to go through the week.

I will probably get ballista bolts heading my way, but my primary reason for
not staying late is I am bored to death, hot, tired, and cranky.   I have
stopped going to hot events that have the same old double elimination
tournament.  I have started setting up my shop of fourtunes, curses and
potions, to occupy my time at events, but I have to go to events where
people want to play along.   Since my time is limited, I want to attend
events that are going to have something for me to do, see and experience.
Perhaps the day leads into the night for me.  If I have had a long boring
day, then I want to get off site, eat food that due to my state I perceive
as better, and go home and end the day.  I think if we tried to do more
interesting and new things with our events, we would have happy people who
would not want the weekend to end.

Bia
(now ducking behind the crenellations)
HL Biatrichi di Palermo
Seer to the nobility of since 1492

Non essiri duci sinno tu mancianu, non essiri amaru sinno ti futanu