[Ansteorra] time for a different topic

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Thu Apr 25 13:20:33 PDT 2002

Well, I think we've all flogged the dead horse of getting help, chivalry,
etc., ad nauseum, to death.  How about a different topic?

I was recently explaining to my brother how I met my significant other:  We
had seen each other a few times in a bookstore where I worked, and made
passing comments to each other on various topics.  One day when I finally
had the opportunity to ring up a sale for him, I noticed the book he had
ordered had Celtic knotwork on the cover.  I made some comment about it, and
our conversation eventually drifted to the S.C.A.  I said I had heard a bit
about it from some people I worked with at Scarborough Faire.  He offered to
bring me some newsletters (back in the day when they were more than just
event announcements) and a couple of T.I.s, and would talk about the SCA and
answer any questions I had over a cup of tea, if I cared to join him after
work.

The hook was, I think, that he had a different line.  He didn't ask me out
for a beer or a drink at a bar, or even for my phone number.  He offered to
teach me about something in which I already had an interest.

So my idea for a different topic is this:  tell how you and your mate came
to be together if it had anything to do with the SCA.

Amicalement,
Ly Madelina de Lyndesaye