[Ansteorra] was History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Thu Apr 25 18:10:22 PDT 2002

In a message dated 4/25/02 1:21:02 AM Central Daylight Time, Ciard49 at aol.com
writes:

> In Meridies, and especially in the Gleann Abhainn area, they held events at
> sites with heated or air conditioned cabins, that include toilets and hot
> showers, and A/C in the feast halls for all the 13 years I was there. Some
> of
> these sites were at church camps or state parks.
>
> At age 49, I personally see no virtue in being miserable due to extreem
> heat
> and allergies, toughing it out in a tent, when one would need a van to
> bring
> everything needed to set up a truly comfortable camp - especially for a
> family.  Doing it at Gulf Wars for a week in the spring, and staying with a
> household that has its own cook tent, is different than doing it for a 2
> 1/2
> days over a weekend by myself during the summer.
>
> Meridians only needed to bring bedding and draperies, feast gear, garb, and
> toys - be they armor or A&S.
>
> Aging members and those with health problems or children could easily
> remain
> on site all weekend in much more comfort.
>
> Once a fellow from Ansteorra complained that Meridian events cost too much.
> He said back home he could attend an event that only cost $5 for the whole
> weekend, by wearing his armor as he rode his motorcycle and using a 2 liter
> bottle for a pillow and his cloak for a blanket, and lying out in a field
> under the stars.
>
> I told him my persona was not a soldier, but a lady and scholar and
> artisan.
>
> I told him I would rather pay $20 for the weekend - which included 2
> breakfasts and the feast - and sleep in a real bunkbed in a weather
> controlled room, with attached bathroom and showers.  They also usually
> offered a lunch for $2, consisting of stew, fruit, bread and tea.
>
> If Texas or South Louisiana had European climate, sleeping in a tent might
> not be so bad.  Medieval folk of the aristocratic class seldom stayed in
> tents anyway - especially the women.
>
> If the sites had more ammenities, those folks who now can afford to get a
> hotel room for the weekend or own an RV, or a large van to haul half a
> house
> worth of goods, would not have to bother with the extra expences or extra
> camping gear.  And those who choose to camp could still do so if they
> wanted
> at most events.
>
> Are there any such sites available in Ansteorra?
>
> THLady Ciard

OK here I go and I will be sure to see a reply. As I sit here I can think of
a really detailed and lengthy reply. But I am not going to do that. I will
simply say there is more magic in the camping than there is in the cabins.  I
have done both. It is wonderful to listen to the story telling around the
fire and the bardic. To fall asleep to the beat of a drum. It is also
wonderful to have the privacy then be in a cabin with the world.

Once you finally experiance the magic I don't think you will go back. But
then this is not for everyone. You will have to find your own style.

Thankfully I am home were I belong.

In the SCA known as Ly Maili Donnel MacGregor

Dream the Imposible Dream

"While there is mist in the forest and froth on the river.
MacGregors  will florish despite them forever."  MacGregor's Lament