[Ansteorra] Gophers in the Garden

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 26 09:17:37 PDT 2002

Madelina said:
> Good topic, by the way... things HL Stefan doesn't have in
> his florilegium.
> Hmmm....  How about period methods of wart, corn, and mole
> removal?

Well, I would have at first suggested looking in the files
in the PERSONAL CARE section. However, I didn't find anything
on this there. However, using the onsite search engine, I
found this selection in this file:
A-Lapidary-art    (32K)  3/31/99    Period descriptions and virtues of gemstones by Agnes deLanvallei.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/A-Lapidary-art.html

----------
Magnes or Magnet - is a stone colored like iron & it  draws to itself iron. This stone is found in the sea of India.  Delder the Enchanter used it much, for he knew well that it helped greatly with enchantments, & after him the marvelous enchantress Circe used it much.  This stone makes love between man and woman & gives a man grace to speak sweetly.  If a man drink of it in oil it shall purge him of dropsy.  A man who bears this stone shall never be filled with anger at his wife, nor the wife with the husband.   ****Whoever has a felon, that is a wart or boil, if he drinks the powder of this stone, shall be healed. ****If a woman drinks the powder of this stone, she shall be barren; and if a man drinks it four times he shall lose his genitals.  The might and virtue of this stone is so great, that if it be set under a vessel of gold or of brass, if iron is set thereupon, by moving the stone that is beneath, so shall the iron move above. It is right good to be set in an azure r!
!
ing.
---------

The asterisks are mine. While this may cure your wart, you might
want to consider whether it is worth it if you read further on.

> (Gophers
> made me think of moles, and from there.... ok, I admit I
> didn't get enough sleep last night.)

Yes, there is a bit of differance between moles and mole'.

I think mole' sauce might be period or close to period.
Certainly solid chocolate is not. It is an 19th or 18th
Century invention. However, chocolate drinks with sugar
and peppers and spices are period.

chocolate-msg     (40K)  2/28/00    History and description of early chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

Stefan