[Ansteorra] Elfsea Mud I mean Springfair

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Mon Apr 8 08:37:21 PDT 2002

Pendaran said:
>Troll? There was a troll on that site? Good
>heavens, why didn't someone try to kill it?

Now wait a minute!

There are trolls that help fishermen in distress, trolls that kidnapped
people to make them their slaves, trolls that hated people and did anything
to harm them and trolls that loved people so much that they died for them.
The list is never ending and there are a lot of different types of trolls
that exist, small, big, bad and good. Trolls are usually bigger than humans,
rather stupid and in most cases greedy and cruel. However the tales also
tell of trolls that are smart, trolls that have knowledge beyond humans,
trolls that are sensitive and trolls that are more loyal than any other
being to humans.

Before you go killing any trolls, remember that when trolls experience
adversity they normally react with great anger and horrific revenge.  On the
other hand, when they want to repay someone's kindness towards them there is
no distance that they would not travel and no mountains they would not climb
in order to come to that persons aid. Some trolls are known to help people
on there own initiative and expect no rewards. Some stories tell of trolls
that eat humans while others tell of trolls that kidnap humans (males and
females) for sexual games and pleasure. It is not uncommon that a troll will
fall in love with a human and then kidnap that person. Usually the person is
held hostage in the troll cave and eventually die there. The troll that
loved that person then died in grief. Other tales tell of humans that fell
in love with trolls and went to live with them. In most cases like that the
human started to gradually change and in the end turned into a troll too.

It's a *much* better idea to leave out cream and honeycakes for the trolls,
then they'll be your friend.  You know the old saying, "trusty as a
troll" -- that comes from the loyalty a well-fed and friendly troll will
repay their neighbors!

>Of course, I still don't believe that those
>things exist, I don't care what Ivar and
>Gunorra say.

I can *show* you a troll.  There are several places in Iceland and elsewhere
where a troll fell asleep and was caught by the daylight and turned to
stone.  Here's one in Iceland:

http://www.alda.is/images/troll.jpg

::GUNNORA::

Who *regularly* leaves out milk, mead and honeycakes for my trolls, don't
*anyone* try and hurt them!  They watch over my horses and keep wolves away!