[Ansteorra] SCA slang

Lady Simone ui' Dunlaingh simone at elfsea.net
Mon Apr 8 21:47:23 PDT 2002

I sit and read this thread and the one on Troll vs. Gate and have mixed
feelings. Growing up in the SCA, I grew up with the term Troll  for the
person running gate and have taken pride in being a Troll. it was one of the
first areas of service outside of setup and tear down  that I got involved
with. I have and still do assist as an overnight troll(gate person) at my
groups events and events I visit.

I read the argument for referring to Troll as Gate, the intellectual in me
says they make sense, the child inside screams NOOOO. The part of me that
has played for years goes "another change it could be good it could be bad I
don't know.

Just my opinion. I think this is one of those terms that has become
ingrained as part of our Traditions. It may not be "Period" but it is ours.
I may be wrong but to me our Traditions are just as important as the
histories we try to recreate.  and trying to change it will more than likely
be met with mixed feelings than hearty yeah's and nay's.

Lady Simone Maurian ui' Dunlaingh
simone at elfsea.net