[Ansteorra] Re: SCA slang

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 9 09:36:43 PDT 2002

>From: "Lady Simone ui' Dunlaingh" <simone at elfsea.net>
>I can not speak on Ansteorran history 23 years ago. I was in another
>kingdom. It has now struck my curiosity on how the term Troll >migrated...

I seem to recall that 20 years ago, when I started in the North, it was
being used - as were all the other traditional non-historical terms.

>From: 'Wolf?
>so, a correct "period" redaction of the origional would be:
>" ... other as anal-retentive authenticity Dominican's"

Strangely, I don't find that term any less offensive (And yes, I know that
Ulf was joking when he brought it up).

Ok, I feel like I have to do this.  When the term is _normally_ used, with
its thoughtless trivialization of the horrors perpetuated by the Nazis, and
visciously ascribing those horrors to the people at whom the term is
directed, I find it deeply offensive (and would even if it weren't being
directed at me).

"Anal-retentive" is, when used in the same phrase, also pretty darned
offensive, and likely is only used by the (in this context) synonymous term
"pedantic" mostly because people are turned on by the "anal" aspect, thereby
layering on another level of their disregard and disrespect.

The alternate term "authenticity police" isn't much better, since all that
does is serve to perpetuate a myth, and make people see that demon in
situations where it might not otherwise exist.

"Authenticity maven", a term I haven't heard in nearly 20 years, but which I
heard again just this last weekend in the Outlands, is still a label, but at
least isn't insulting (meaning "an expert or connoisseur").

Personally, I would rather not be labeled at all, and just be let alone to
do my thing.  I don't care if people use the traditional SCAisms or actual
historical terms.  I'm going to use the historical terms, because the
fantasy elements don't mesh with MY personal version of The Dream, but if
other people want to use them, that's their business.  The same also goes
for how I dress, and so on.

If the fact that I'm interested in something you are not ["you" being a
generalized term, not anyone specific in this discussion] gives you the
feeling that it's somehow 'ok' to insult me -- that may say more about you
than you have thought about.  Now, I've been told that some people feel
threatened by how I dress, or by my research, and that they need to deal
with that by denegrating me or my interests - and if that's the case, again,
I think it says more about them than they want publically known.

Never mind...  *mutter*

Marc/Diarmaid