[Ansteorra] Re: walking authentically

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Wed Apr 10 18:02:56 PDT 2002

> Actually it is believed that the way one would walk within the SCA period to modern day has changed.  If one considers that there weren't many heels of any kind on shoes and the surfaces we walk on are different, you can begin to percieve the way the differences could occur.   If one is wearing skirts that are near or on the ground then it really is a good thing to slow down as well.  All of this changes the way we walk, how our feet turn and so on.
> Alex

Written for women rather than men, but see Ruth Green's "The Wearing of
Costume:  The Changing Techniques of Wearing Clothes and How to Move in
Them."

She describes how the style of each period affects the way you walk,
hold your body, use your arms, etc.  Skirt shapes affect your gait,
sleeves affect whether the elbows are held near or away from the body.

--Perronnelle

--
When aiming for the common denominator, be prepared for the occasional
division by zero.