[Ansteorra] SCA slang

macthomas macthomas at mail.ev1.net
Fri Apr 12 11:03:28 PDT 2002

Very early in this thread, Pendaran and Annes shared their
viewpoints on the slang issues.  These are both very dear friends
of mine, and so I share my viewpoint.

Regarding "that place we check into an event and pay our money":

When speaking with my friend Pendaran, I will call this thing
a "gate".  If anyone comes to correct me, I will politely
acknowledge their dissenting opinion and continue to refer to it
as a "gate".

When speaking with my friend Annes, I will call this thing
a "troll".  If anyone comes to correct me, I will politely
acknowledge their dissenting opinion and continue to refer to it
as a "troll".

The point is, each of us has our personas, our way of playing it,
and our own version of the Dream to live out with it.  Just as the
Dream is this intangible something that ties us all together in
the SCA, a little different to everyone but still instantly
recognizable when it's mentioned, so it is with "that place we
check into an event and pay our money" - no matter what we choose
to call it.

Stephen

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net