[Ansteorra] RE: Personna Stuff

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 12 14:14:48 PDT 2002

Giovanni explained some of the problems when trying to study
period prices, especially when comparing them to modern ones
and then said:

> These are just estimates, and just for fun.  I haven't
> actually done any hard research on any of this yet, have only
> the one source to go by for the weights of the coins and
> other medieval money numbers.  But, I think it's pretty neat.
>  I'm working on a spreadsheet that converts these numbers
> into ducats and francs, and have a table that gives values
> for the silver system as well based on the several estimates
> of what a florin might be worth in today's money.  I'll put
> it up on my website later this week.

You may have already looked at these files in the Florilegium, but
if you haven't you might find them interesting. There are a number
of lists of period prices as well as mentions of referances where
historians and economists have done similar comparisons.

p-prices-msg      (59K) 11/ 7/01    Prices for medieval items.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/p-prices-msg.html
p-prices-srcs-art (11K)  5/10/00    "A review of useful sources for Period
                                       Prices" by Lord Anton de Stoc.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/p-prices-srcs-art.html

You also mentioned sources for the wieght of medieval coins. At
least for studies in England, this file in the same area might
be of use:
p-Engsh-coins-lst (17K)  6/25/99    A list of period English coins
                                       by Kestrel of Wales.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/p-English-coins-lst.html

Good luck in your research.

THLord Stefan li Rous