[Ansteorra] The Journey (was SCA slang)

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Fri Apr 12 14:47:16 PDT 2002

I think that Elysia makes an excellent point here and its one that I'd like
to address: Old timers and people who like to play persona and be more into
the history should nurture new people and people who want to learn. Having
said that, most of the folks that fall into the former category will nurture
new folk but should probably be more proactive about making that fact known.
I also think that more people should teach persona classes. Mine is the only
one that I know gets taught fairly regularly - why is that? My manner of
persona play isn't the only way of doing it; let's see some variety.

Elysia also says that new folks are often intimidated by some of us. I was
even told that I needed to work on being more approachable. Since I try to
be cordial to people, especially new people, I'm still trying to figure that
one out. Should I carry a sign explaining that its alright to talk to me?
Sorry, but I'm always going to be loud and, well, Pendarish - that's my
persona. But while I understand that newer folk will often be intimidated by
people like that, those people are actually pretty nice and don't mind
talking to new comers. I can speak for myself, my wife and many of my
friends on this one. Shoot, even Gunnorra is nice most of the time! :-)
(She's gonna get me for that, I just know it.)

I'd like to make two challenges:
1. Someone else out there teach a persona class in the next six months
2. If you're new, find someone who is older and venerable , and go up to
them and talk to them. (And let me know if they're mean to you.)

Pendaran