[Ansteorra] Authenticity

Elisabeth B. Zakes ezakes at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 12 15:16:18 PDT 2002

>You know what, Iago? I  have been criticized for sitting in my pavilion and
>role playing my persona. My own pavilion! Someone actually had the nerve to
>look in on what my friends and I were doing and then claim that we thought
>we were better than others because we attempted to create a period
>atmosphere and play the game in a manner that we found enjoyable.
>
>The moral of the story is that there are jerks on both sides of the fence,
>not just the historical side.
>
>Pendaran
>(A stuck up noble who takes himself way too seriously)

And I've gotten the opposite response. "Why don't you play your persona?"
Because I don't play, I *am*. Admittedly, it's easier for a non-English
persona to be seen as a "persona" than a persona from England, and Aethelyan
seems to have the same attitudes that Elisabeth does so I don't have to
think about things very hard.

But the authentic things I do don't show up well. No one can see the fact
that my corset doesn't have steel in it, or that I made my own farthingale.
I don't have the inclination to play games at events, so one won't see me
playing period games. And I'm just not flamboyant like my Baron. :) But I
think I'm "in persona" as well as I can be. It just doesn't show up as well.

My response to the question asked above? I haven't thought of a good one,
yet. I just hope some folks will realise that "in persona" doesn't just mean
being obvious about it.

None of this is criticism for folks like Sir Pendaran, who *are* themselves.
as much as I am myself, but louder. :)

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad