[Ansteorra] The Journey

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 14:21:58 PDT 2002

Wow. My lady, I do believe you have hit the proverbial
nail on the head. I haven't been playing as long as
you (nearly three years now). However, I understand
exactly what you are saying.

My first event was Ansteorra's Twentieth Year
Celebration. I was (in my mind, anyway) all dolled up
in a bodice, skirt and chemise. I even had a British
accent I picked up from high school theatre. I was
attempting to talk to a gentle (I don't remember who)
about the schism King Henry VIII had caused with his
divorces. The gentle looked at me and point blank
said, "This is not a role-playing game. This is the
SCA." Well, needless to say, I dumped the accent and
stopped talking about period stuff for a while.

I found that, in being a bard, I could do all that
again and have fun in the process. Yes, I think there
are some who take this game a little too seriously as
far as the historical aspects are concerned. I mean, I
wish I could have a truly Tudor/Elizabethan gown
encrusted with emeralds, rubies and diamonds, as a
lady of my station would wear. But, with my limited
resources that is not a possibility (unless I win the
Lottery tonight!). But, I make do with what I do have
and wear each piece of garb with pride.

I love this game. I love how I was accepted without
question and how I was allowed to grow as a performer.
I love the friends I have made and continue to make in
this journey.

I know I'm rambling but I just want people to offer
suggestions on how to create a more "period" style,
rather than tell someone they did a bad job on
something or shouldn't be "period" or whatever. We're
all in this game because we value honor, courtesy and
grace above all else.

Thanks for letting me drop my 2₤ in the box!

In search of the Dream,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Barony of Elfsea

=====