[Ansteorra] The Journey: A&S

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:27:57 PDT 2002

One thing that I've noticed, however....

I think that the normal blanket statement about substitutions being fine if
documented, often breeds ill-will when people find that they -don't- get a high
materials score for making an item out of non-period materials, no matter what they
say about it.  Fact is, on average, deductions can and do occur.

We say that substitutions are okay...but if you make substitutions of materials for
reasons other than safety or complete unavailability, you are still likely to get
deducted, although not as much as if it were not noted.  A deduction might not occur
if you provide evidence that your substitution is the modern material that most
closely approximates the actual period substance in several physical characteristics
(much better than, "I found this to be the cheapest I could find on the Walmart sale
table").  However, even in this case, if safe period materials were actually
available but unused, and the competition then comes down to your piece and another
with an identical score but made of completely period materials, the more completely
period object is likely to win.

Isobel