[Ansteorra] Authenticity/Ten Foot Rules/10' credibility tool

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 19 08:44:22 PDT 2002

I hate hotmail...

To continue the message that hotmail decided to send before I was finished
with -

If people want to do more accurate stuff, be more authentic, this should be
encouraged absolutely by those of us who are interested in such things.
Those who aren't, should be left alone to do what they want.  If they can't
see how cool/interesting/fun accuracy can be from how much fun we're having,
there's really nothing we can do about that.

>From: "HL Darcy" <darcy at seacove.net>
>I would just like to point out that there is nothing in the SCA >governing
>documents or incorporation that says our function is to "educate" the
>general population.  We are a "self-educating" group as witnessed by the
>many universities, colleges and collegiums >throughout the Known World...

Small question.  Are you intending to suggest that since the SCA _isn't_ the
public, there's less of a reason to actually -educate-, or that education
should be only focused on collegiums, universities, what have you?

>From: Brian Martin <BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com>
>Since these "rules" are not rules at all, but merely guidelines that >some
>people have come up with, I don't think that one can determine which is
>correct and which is not. These things are left to individual
>interpretation.

As I said, shades of nuance.

>From: "Paul DeLisle" <ferret at hot.rr.com>
>..personally, invented this "rule", and wrote it down officially
> >somewhere, I question your criticism of Diarmuid's observation.

I believe it's his statement of how he feels about the term and how he was
taught it, that's all.  If we want to get into an exploration of where the
term comes from, so we can get a clue about what the earliest uses meant,
that's fine - I'd be happy to.  OTOH, that doesn't alter the fact that in
this kingdom at this time, the meaning has taken on a spectrum of meanings -
and each point in that spectrum is valid to the person at that point.

>From: "Theron Bretz" <tbretz at montroseclinic.org>
>Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] 10' credibility tool
>...What purpose demos in schools if we disseminate falsehood?

[Answered privately]

Marc/Diarmaid