[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

Theron Bretz tbretz at montroseclinic.org
Mon Apr 22 13:53:02 PDT 2002

>> I haven't a good answer on how to "fix" things.  God knows *I'd* rather
be
> at the event singing and talking with my friends and hearing stories spun
> and so forth than doing laundry!

In the "Old Days"(tm), this would be about the time that Jan would get up
and tell Bjornsborg that they didn't get together and sing the old songs any
more, a precursor to a forced sing-along at the next available event.

Some less-defeatist ideas, now that I'm thinking about this.

One of the more effective tools I've seen for transmitting some of this
information has been the "Baronial Museums" I saw at Bryn Gwlad and
Bjornsborg.  Folks scoured their photo albums, closets, and dusty shelves
for relics of the past.  When others saw these items, a good number of
stories circulated with them.  "You knew Pendaran when he had hair?" :-)

Another solution is to take your particular heritage into your own hands and
create situations where you can share it.  Lord Conner and Don Eule put
together a "Rapier Reunion" shortly after Dona Gwenno's passing to get
people together with the intent of telling the old stories and dragging out
the photo albums.  More are planned in the future.

Finally, take an interest in the SCA upbringing of one person.  One to one
acculturation takes time, but it guarantees there will be at least one other
person in the SCA who shares most of your views. :-)

It's not much, but it's better than nothing at all.

Luciano
Realizing that, at 38, that I'm older now than most of the "old timers" were
when I started.