[Ansteorra] Feasts and Special Diets

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 23 06:22:54 PDT 2002

> Thanks... here's another question then...  How often
> do you get to site and change what you used in a dish?
>  You know like add a little oil to this or butter to
> that.

NO.  I don't do this, because I know there are people who are counting on
everything being exactly as stated in the menu I've published ahead of time.
The closest I would get is a substitution of "likes" - safflower oil for
canola oil, spinach for lettuce, lamb for beef if I can get it cheaply just
before the event.  Sometimes a counted-on ingredient is not available, but I
try to plan the menu with things that will be in season, or are available
(to us) year-around.

I never add butter or oil to a dish I said would not have it - nor wine, nor
onions, nor etc.  I know there are people who could get quite ill if I do,
and I really don't want my feast making people sick!  And there isn't really
a reason to add to a recipe once you have it set, especially if it is
something that will change its character the way oil or butter will.

One thing you can do - ask the server.  Very often the cook will tell the
servers what is in the meal, or have a menu posted at the service station
that they can consult.

                          ---= Morgan (cooked feast in four kingdoms)