[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

brenda mchenry roana8 at msn.com
Tue Apr 23 07:30:43 PDT 2002

As someone who will be celebrating her second year in the society at Warlord
here is my two cents.

Ok I'm most likely near the same age as most of the "experienced" folks.  I
have 2 children, a dog and a cat at home for most events.  The dog comes
when welcome.  We camp most events dragging a trailer behind what ever
truck/van is running.

Whenever I found someone willing to tell me tales of "long ago" I have
listened.  Asked questions.  Begged for more.  It's difficult to find people
who have both the experience and time to tell tales.  My children as well
have listened with great interest.

Why not have an "experienced" camp the way we have newcomers camps at events
where things are slightly more comfortable.  Or at least somewhere for
people like me to find those with a tale or 5 to tell?

My family and I were offered a fostership of sorts by a household at our
first event.  Even though they were relatively new to the SCA they provide a
great assistance to us.  Since that time we have joined that house and
continued with the tradition of adopting newcomers.  Most of these people
have remained as active members of the SCA whether or not they have joined
our house.I think it was because someone more experienced took time with
them. And are now fostering others as well

Roana FitzStephen
Du bist niemand als bei eine Katze ungewissand sind.