[Ansteorra] Which brings us to...

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Wed Apr 24 14:24:34 PDT 2002

I have heard this sentiment from a number of different individuals: the
young adults of today just wouldn't be interested in the SCA.

I am a young adult who has been playing in the SCA for almost 5 years now
(discovered it shortly after my first year of university).  I find it
difficult to believe this is true, because I have seen hordes of younger
members join in the two baronies I played in throughout university.
Albeit, that was in a different kingdom, but the majority of the members
there fell between 22 and 30 years of age.  There were some long-time
members, as well, and they gave stability and knowledge to each group.

When I moved to Ansteorra, I was surprised to find the average age was
considerably older than I was accustomed to.

I have _seen_ other young adults who are just as interested in and
delighted by the SCA as myself.

I still have not figured out to my satisfaction why this kingdom and my
previous one are so disparate on this, and there are a number of factors
that could have effect.  We had fewer events, for one.  We also had more
demos.  Our practices (in the summer) were at a high-traffic downtown
park, or on the university campus.  We always had _many_ non-fighters out
at practice doing their thing - embroidering, dancing, singing, spinning,
whatever was portable.

We had monthly mini-revels, on a weekday night, and this was one of the
high points of the month.

I am certain there are more, and I hope some day to figure out what makes
the two places different.

Young people's goals of the new milennia are not at odds with the culture
of the SCA.  Most that I've met have a definite "work hard - play hard"
attitude, which would lend itself well to going to events and wars.

So, please, I beg of you.  Do not discount a reduction in the number of
younger members as simple non-interest of the younger generation.

If anyone wishes to contact me directly in regards to this email, my
address is audette at sapheron.org

Thank you for listening.

Audette des Grenouilles