[Ansteorra] WWMPD? was Fire for Pendaran

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Wed Apr 24 15:35:03 PDT 2002

2 cents time....:)

I learned a very valuable lesson early on in my best and chosen hobby called
the SCA.  I was carrying something and a gentleman offered his help.  I was
hesitant...after all in the world I had left just 2 hours drive before I am
expected to be independant and capable....and sometimes people might try to
rip you off.  He observed my hesitation and my attempt to demur and repeated
his offer very graciously.  I finally let him carry my burden for me.  After
reaching our destination, I thanked him.  He looked at me and said,"Never
refuse an offer of help freely given in the SCA if you possibly can.  For me
and for other like me, carrying a burden for a lovely lady is part of what
makes our Dream real.  Here you are precious and beautiful and worthy of my
service, no matter what you do or who you are in the Outside world. Nay, my
lady, your thanks is appreciated and gladly taken but your acceptance of my
aide is my true reward."  He bowed and kissed my hand and disappeared into
the camp.  Much later, I became friends with him.  Several years ago he
moved and I haven't seen him at events since.  But I will give him word fame
now and perhaps some will remember Lord Chogi (pronounced chew-gee).  He was
always helping everywhere and to everyone.

I have never forgotten his words.  I remember them each and every time
someone (gentleman, lady, young blood, or child) offers to help me.  I
always accept for I can not tell if a refusal on my part might wither a part
of the fun of this game we play for them.

Have I ever asked for help and had that request ignored or rejected?  Only
on a few occasions.  Only once was the refusal rude.

Have I seen persons with burdens and helped them?  Yes.
They were always grateful and never rude.

Have I seen persons with burdens and they refused my help?  Again yes.  I
have not experienced rudeness in this case.

Have I been offered aide unasked?  Much more often than refused.

Have I seen people with burdens and been unable to help?  Yes, and hopefully
 they did not think badly of me for it.

Have I possibly not seen someone who needed help?  Oh yes, I'm sure to be
guilty of this one.

Perhaps my experience is unique or rare.  I'd like to think not.

All of us need to remember that we are all in this together and by our
actions can make or break the pleasure of our game for someone else or for
ourselves.  Try to remember that each person you meet is considered at least
minor nobility, even those with no AoA to their fame yet.  Ask yourself what
someone from the time we wish to emulate would do. At the risk of being
slightly blasphemous perhaps we need to make belt favors that bear the
legend "W.W.M.P.D.?" (What Would Medieval People Do?) to remind ourselves
that when we step past the "troll gate" (tongue in cheek) that we are no
longer part of that world we left behind.  Is this not what we have longed
to do and why we come to these events in the first place?

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen