[Ansteorra] children's heraldry ( was History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....)

Elisabeth B. Zakes ezakes at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 25 03:40:55 PDT 2002

This has been done quite successfully before. One event we had was dedicated
to children, wherein the fighting was to choose a children's champion. Once
of the activities was a felt board with heraldic shapes to teach them about
heraldry. Rosalind, at that time four years old, stayed after the class
playing around with the shapes, and designed her own arms. The device she
designed that day passed on the first try six months later.

It's probably a little expensive to make, but I would think that a set like
this could be part of the equipment of the (whichever herald is in charge of
heraldic education) herald. It could then be brought to events by that
herald for a one-hour session during the children's activities.

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad

[...]

... it would be more beneficial to the children
if the childrens activities were more SCA related..
for example, Have a Herald cut out a lot of heraldic
devices and teach the children the elements of
heraldry while assisting them to create their own coat
of arms that would be acceptable by SCA standards.
(by the way, I "borrowed" this idea from from Grimm
(formerly of our Canton of Rundel).

=====
In Service to the Dream,

Lady Elizabeta
Seneschal of Rundel
Minister of Children for Margrave/Vormund