[Ansteorra] Gophers in the Garden

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Apr 25 16:55:53 PDT 2002

Robert asked:
>   Does anyone know anything about period methods of getting
> rid of Gophers in your garden?
>   I don't actually have gophers in my garden, I don't
> actually have a garden, I'm just trying to see if it is
> possable to come up with a subject that Stefan doesn't have
> an article for in his florilegium.

Well, you may just have succeeded. However, I don't think
gophers are native to Europe, in which case the question
doesn't count. :-)

However, there is this one on period pest control. You did
say in the garden, though and not in the house.
Pest-Control-art  (32K)  5/16/97    "Medieval Household Pest Control"
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Pest-Control-art.html

The other solution might be to set your trained ferrets on
it:
ferrets-msg       (50K)  7/ 6/01    Ferrets in the SCA.and Middle Ages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/ferrets-msg.html
Ferrets-Hunt-art  (17K)  1/ 3/99    "Rabbit Hunting with Ferrets"
                                       by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Ferrets-Hunt-art.html

If they can retrieve a rabbit from it's warren, maybe they could
have been used against a gopher the same way.

Now about those files on gardens, so that you can have a
garden for those gophers to invade....

Stefan