[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Thu Apr 25 10:59:19 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:32:07 EDT Ldyinnes at aol.com writes:
> --
> just one last post from me regarding this thread.
>
> Everyone says just ask for help,   When I started playing,  you
> didnt have to
> ask for help.  it was offered and i think that is the way it should
> be.   I

        And I agree, you shouldn't. But since the people most likely to
offer help are also the people most likely to already be helping others,
and are therefore likely to have several things on their plate that they
are thinking about, expect them to be harried and distracted.
        I know many people, NOT just from Bordermarch, who get to site as
early as they can, quickly set up their own camp, and then go looking for
things needing to be done/people needing help. Often they go to the Event
Steward first, so it is fairly typical for them to already have two or
three things they are working on by the time they first see an individual
needing help.
        Yes, I understand that those people who are distracted enough to
need to be asked are often already busy, which may make you hesitant to
ask them. But I also understand that those same people, regardless of how
busy they are, would likely feel badly if they found out later that they
walked right by you and were too distracted to offer, and that you
therefore ended up doing too much all by yourself.
        Yes, it is wonderful to have a whirlwind of camp elves magically
show up and make your load light. But on Friday nights especially, you
should probably expect to need to ask.

      Yours in Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon