[Ansteorra] Re: too many events ...

Jay Yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Sat Apr 27 10:04:50 PDT 2002

- -----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of CLASS016 at aol.com
Sent: April 27, 2002 - Saturday 11:12

* ... I have been playing for less that a year so forgive my
ignorance but aren't Cantons and Shires helped by a certain Barony --
or at least have a "sister Barony" like the "sister City" idea?  If
so, why not allow these Cantons and Shires to help with the Baronial
events -- that way it strengthens the whole area.

re: smaller vs larger groups

true, but historically (here and in other kingdoms), sometimes the
smaller groups are often hesitant to combine their efforts in
officially supporting the bigger baronial events due to a perceived
notion that the larger barony will be the one that takes/gets the
credit, while the smaller ones will be overlooked.  hence the rise in
years past of the smaller local events as "advertisement" of the
smaller groups - and providing a focus for their populations efforts
... in some cases these regular tribe-centric "rally's" are necessary
to keep the smaller groups together as a cohesive unit.

re: number of events

personally, i liked the game much better (and would get out far more)
when there were maybe two "must do" events each years and 3-4 more
"popular" ones.  it's amusing listening to some of my friends who are
much more active trying to juggle events and triage between 2-3 on
popular weekends (scadian and "other" - home, family, professional,
educational, ... and special - pagan, biker, craft, music, ethnic,
etc... ).  this is especially notable this time of year when everyone
wants to get their gathering on colander before the heavy heat
settles in.

then there is obligation - real or perceived.  as you get higher into
the scadian hierarchies, there is a drive, and in many cases a
expectation to be at everything, to be seen and thus further ones
scadian career potential (it's so much like corporate america it's
scary sometimes ... grin).  10-15 years back (and earlier) it was the
shared belief in some scadian circles that due primarily to the heavy
expected travel involved, on a colander that rarely had any empty
space anymore (especially in a kingdom as big as this one), one would
need to be unemployed and/or insane to want to be a crown (g)

to my mind, fewer events raised the quality of those events (again,
perceived or real) and allowed the game to be played as a "hobby"
instead of a committed "lifestyle".   additionally, it allowed time
for home and other group (non-scadian) events & obligations for those
who had other interests or were seeking a balance outside of the
scadian world.

why does willies "on the road again" keep popping into my mind ....
(g)

'wolf