[Ansteorra] Something that needs to be done

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Tue Aug 6 09:20:58 PDT 2002

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and I wanted to throw this
out to the lists.

Why are we not seeing recycling of aluminum, plastic, steel and paper at our
events?

We pride ourselves on leaving a *site* better than we found it.  Why are we
not, as a group, leaving the *world* better than we found it?

Many, if not most of us, recycle in our homes, at work, either on an
occasional basis or on a very rigourous basis.  Those who don't generally
seem to wish they could, did or could remember to do so.  I've found very
few people who think that recycling is a bad idea and that we shouldn't do
it.

I've been to more events than I can remember and while occasionally there
will be an autocrat or a member of their group who thinks ahead to have some
type of recycling available, it is the exception and not the rule.

Not being one to find fault without suggesting a solution and offering to
help impliment that solution, I would like to offer my help to any autocrat
of any group in the kingdom who agrees with me that recycling should happen
at their event.  As I said, I've been thinking about this for a long time
and I have put into action those plans at the upcoming Stargate Baronial
30th anniversary event.

At this event, we will have recycling bins for aluminum, plastic, steel and
paper.  We are encouraging all of those who attend this event to place any
of these items in these bins.  After the event, I and my volunteers will
take it off to the recyclers.

If you are planning an event but don't have time to research how to do
recycling for your area, drop me an email and I will research it for you.
I've found and recorded the numbers, locations and names of recycle centers
all over the state of Texas and I can get the stuff for Oklahoma with no
problems.

I would like to eventually see our kingdom events, both on and off calendar,
get to the point where *every event* has someone who will take the
responsiblity to set up, monitor and haul off those items which can be
recycled.  From the response I got last night at our Stargate Baronial
meeting, it was a very popular idea.  I am hoping it will be popular on a
kingdom wide basis.

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen