[Ansteorra] A&S issues

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Aug 28 08:34:51 PDT 2002

Brian Martin (BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com) said something that sounded like:
> I'll be honest and say that I don't understand the link between
> entering competitions and people knowing that you teach classes.

I have to say that I agree with Pendaran here. in my SCA career I have
entered 2 SCA competitions and 1 mundane competition for my primary art
form. That's it. (I don't compete because of very personal reasons.)
Does that mean people don't know my work? Not at all. I 'display' in
the form of giving my art form away a lot. Many art forms allow this and
other forms of display. Costuming is easy to imagine, as are most needle
work arts. Cooking can be given away as a hospitality thing. Bardic and
musical arts can just be done about anywhere. Etc.

  NOTE: My art form is brewing/vintning so it's easy to find people who
        want it. I'd also be a huge alcoholic if I drank it all since I
        make close to the legal limit of 200 gallons a year.

As for fighting pushing out A&S, I have to disagree. Since I have
started in the SCA, there are *more* and better A&S things, with some of
them dedicated to only A&S. Now I finding it irritating when autocrats
have to add fighting to an A&S event in order to 'increase the draw'. If
you don't think the A&S event can get enough people on it's on, don't
do it. Fighting is what draws many people to the SCA, but it is the
community that keeps them and A&S is part of that community.

Ciao,

--
Pug Bainter                                        |        AMD, Inc.
System Engineer, MTS                               |      Mail Stop 625