[Ansteorra] Pas was - A&S issues

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Wed Aug 28 13:00:02 PDT 2002

As someone who has participated in a few, and worked on one, I
understand how much work it is.  I did not need to attend to know how
much work needs to be done (the list of work by both the participant and
the organizers was so well covered by Ldy Vivaine :) ) as I have done it
before.

I apologize for misconstruing the joke "lipstick on a pig" as an
allegory (which the phrase was, not a joke).  Mea aculpu.

And to answer to your statement "And here I thought that was what we did
every time we stepped out onto any tourney field." in response to my
statement of "A passage of arms can and should be one of the most noble
and inspiration (sic) forms of tournament that there are. The combatants
come out there for the joy of combat.", I feel that the Pas de Armes can
be the most awesome tournament because at the Pas is a celebration of
participation and combat, whereas some other tournaments are a
celebration of the Winners.  At the end of a Pas, you call the
combatants onto the field, and present them gifts and tokens for
fighting.  At other tournaments, you call the winner and the consort on
the field and present them with Gifts.

I was only able to attend one Tourney of Lyoness (apologies for the
spelling) but it was the first Pas I attended, and I still hold it dear
in my heart.  For in that day, I was recognized not because I won, but
because I strove well and fought hard, and the lady of my field noticed
and gave favor to me.  It was wonderful.  Although I might have fought
as well many other days in other tournaments, I have not always received
the recognition.

In short, I feel that Pas de Armes spread the love around more :)

Centurion Jean Paul

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com