[Ansteorra] Award recommendations

maaggie3 at attbi.com maaggie3 at attbi.com
Fri Aug 30 14:27:50 PDT 2002

> However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be
> able to learn from the experiences of their
> predecessors. And I mean going back several reigns
> not just the previous one.  I would have hoped that
> there was some kind of guidebook or
> recommendations that would be handed down from one
> Crown to the next, with each Crown adding their
> insights to the others.

Well, as far as Her Majesty goes, that's one of the
functions of the Order of the Rose - we're always there
to advise and offer assistance as She requests or
requires.  It would be wonderful indeed if the Crown had
something material "passed on" to them when the became
the Heirs.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to keep
such a system going because, as I think Lorraine pointed
out, there are no requirements for organizational skills
before one can enter Crown.

When I was Queen in the East, there was such a system in
place, and my King and I received files from previous
reigns that were very helpful.  We passed those, along
with additions from our reign, on to our Heirs.
However, all it takes is a reign or two of folks who
simply aren't organized people to pretty much destroy
such continuity.  Thus, the Crown is very
often "starting from scratch" again and again.

Be persistent in your award recommendations, especially
to new Crowns.  Because we're all human, and some people
are less organized than others, never assume that the
wonderfully eloquent recommendation you wrote and sent
to Their Majesties X was passed on to Their New
Majesties Y.  Keep a copy (electonic or otherwise) and
send it again if the award is not given.  I know it's
kind of a pain, but, well, I guess that's just life in
the SCA!  :-)

Maggie