[Ansteorra] Query...

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Mon Aug 26 13:51:28 PDT 2002

Juliana,

No, a baron/baroness is not a peer. There are three orders of peerage in the
SCA: the Chivalry (Knights & Masters at Arms), Laurel and Pelican.
Therefore, one must be a member of one of these orders to be a peer.

There are two types of barons/baronesses: territorial baron & court baron. A
territorial baron and/or baroness is the ruling noble of a barony (like Bryn
Gwlad). A court baron is someone who has been honored by the Crown with that
title, but has no lands and no duties.

Rank: While a territorial baron does outrank a peer, a court baron does not.
Even though a court baron may wear a baronial coronet and be called "Your
Excellency", the court barony carries the rank of a Grant of Arms (such as
an Iris ,  Star of Merit and the other grant orders). Being a territorial
baron is temporary (those it lasts years, it does eventually end), while
being a court baron is permanent.

Pendaran,
(Knight, Baron of the Court, and Baron of Bryn Gwlad)