[Ansteorra] RE: Ansteorra digest, - Seasons Greetings Ansteorra

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 26 10:16:42 PST 2002

>>> Well Morgan, perhaps you ought to at least use a period shrimp recipe.

I have period shrimp recipes, Stefan - you should know me better.

Still think they are bland, uninteresting, and best used as a conveyance
for cocktail sauce (which I *DO* know is not period <g>).  The "Shrympes"
recipe to whicih you point is nothing more than boiled shrimp, not even a
bit of spice or herbs in the water to try and make them palateable.  UGH.
Sounds more like ingredient preparation than real food.

I decided a few years ago that I have eaten enough bad food in the SCA that
I am not going to cook anything I will not eat.  And I simply will not eat
shrimp.  They are boring lumps of salty rubber.  **Especially** in period
recipes, because they did not have cocktail sauce!

Now, a nice roast with garlic, onions, and red wine......
   Or a stew of beef and onions cooked in a chewy beer......
      Or chicken roasted with fresh rosemary perfuming the flesh.....
          Even fish, if done right.  And I do love octopus!

But shrimp - blech.  You want period shrimp, modern shrimp, or maripan
shrimp, YOU cook 'em.  And I'll bring the real food for the rest of us.

                             ----= Morgan, grumpy Pat.Pend.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and
 sharpen my tongue."                               ---= Oscar Levant