[Ansteorra] Just my two pence...TRF

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Mon Dec 9 10:52:29 PST 2002

Maybe I grew up differently.  I went to my first Ren Faire about 25 years
ago when I was just a kid.  I remember things like dragons, a remote-
operated sword-in-stone, and other things of fantasy and fairy tales.

I have come to view ren-faires the same as a fantasy world.  I NEVER
expected them to be some sort of living museum or they wouldn't have
been quite as fun to me as a kid and these faires probably would not
have lasted so many years.

There should be no complaints about TRF or other renfaires for this sort
of thing either.  For that matter, might as well call the SCA a fantasy
group as well.  We are often inaccurate too.  Doesn't 'middle ages as
they SHOULD HAVE BEEN' sort of sum it all up?  Go look into groups like
Thistle Cot if you want to see more attention to accuracy.

And why begrudge faires for giving the public what it wants?  I would
assume you would have them put on some historically accurate faire.  At
which, 90% of the faire-goers would be bored-stiff and never return and
50% of the merchandise couldn't be sold there.  Ren-Faires are themed
shopping malls, not museums.

What you're saying is you'd rather see it more like the SCA (even
though that isn't exactly accurate either) or a museum, because that's
your personal preference.

But which is more popular?  There are very few museums where I see
big parking lots full of cars like I do at Ren Faires.  And very few
SCA events where I see as many cars (except Wars).

The public has other choices available and they have voted with their
wallets that the ren-faire format, with its mix of fantasy is what
they want.

Personally, my favorite ren-faire was the Hawkwood Fantasy Faire in
it's first couple of years.

Olivia G. Rodrigues (ladyoliviar at lycos.com) wrote :
> I don't know how anyone else feels about our (the SCA) having been disinvit=
> ed but here's what I sent just a moment ago to the TRF.
>

> "Clarissa Cartwright
>  2111 N. Austin Ave.
>  Georgetown, TX 78626
>  ladyoliviar at lycos.com
>
> This is just me writing, not the SCA in any way, whole or part.
>
> Having been a member of the SCA for some 8 years now and having attended th=
> e TRF for the most of the last 18, I find your disinvitation of participati=
> on to stink.
>
> Like most corporations, you've become so BIG that you feel you don't need m=
> ost of the 'little people' that helped you get where you are.  You sited in=
>  your letter to our liason that 'we are going in different directions.'  Ho=
> w politically correct of you!
> What you really mean is that you have long ago quit being the Texas RENAISS=
> ANCE Festival and should now be called the Texas FANTASY Festival as I've n=
> oticed quite a few not in period 'paid' performers roaming the site.
>
> So, thank you for helping me to open my eyes to yet another money mongering=
>  company dumping the populace while reaching for that almighty dollar."
>

> Just my opinion...I could be wrong...but it doesn't seem so!
> Olivia

Joel Schumacher                    JCPenney Co. - UNIX Network Systems
jschumac at jcpenney.com              12700 Park Central Pl   M/S 6021
(972) 591-7543                     Dallas TX  75251
--

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,