[Ansteorra] How Much Travel is enough?

Karen kdrennan at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 12:37:15 PST 2002

Thank you Dore for giving what I think is the best advice I've seen on
this topic ever.

Wrenne Blackthorne

--- James Crouchet <jtc at io.com> wrote:
>>>BIG SNIP<<<
The single best bit of advice I can give anyone playing in the SCA is to
forget about the awards. If you work for awards then your success will
always be measured by others. If you force yourself to "do what it takes"
to get an award you will find that award will be a ball and chain that you
will hate more and more.  Instead, just do what is right for you. If you
perfect and polish your art, do it because that is your idea of fun. If
you hold office, haul trash or run an event, do it because you feel
needed. If you teach, run arrow making parties or learn how to write
documentation, do it because it fulfills you. If you become a cadet,
squire, apprentice or protege, do it because your mentor is your hero and
you what to learn from them. Then if you get an award for doing what you
wanted to do anyway it will be a joy.

Dore

=====

You can tell the quality of a