[Ansteorra] Response to "Dream of the Griffins"

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Mon Feb 4 09:46:13 PST 2002

This e-mail is in response to Earl Barn Silveraxe's questions (included
below)

What exactly is the dream of the Griffins?  Like all ideologies, it's a
nebulous thing, and as a famous man said about something else, "I can't
define it, but I know it when I see it."

To put it into perspective, I live in a shire where on every night of
the week, there are friends of mine doing things together and I am
invited.  Armouring, music, sewing, brewing, bardic, and fighting are
the short list of things I can do.  Embraced in the warmth of my friends
in shire, there seems to be little that can not be done.  Are there
dislikes, disagreements? Yes.  Is there dissension? Possibly.  But in my
shire I very often like the "warm center that life crowds around."
Warmed, loved, and disciplined (oh yes discipline is a good sign of
love) I am happy.

Why do I tell you this?  Because this is what my "Dream of the Griffins"
is.  I want my north and my kingdom like this.  Why? Because I like it,
I think it is good, and indeed need no further reason than that.

Earl Barn, you asked about "'underground' principality clique"?  Your
words are loaded.  Clique by itself is tainted with the oberservation of
an outsider wanting to be in.

Clique \Clique\, n. [F., fr. OF. cliquer to click. See {Click},
   v. i.]
   A narrow circle of persons associated by common interests or
   for the accomplishment of a common purpose; -- generally used
   in a bad sense.

Clique \Clique\, v. i.
   To To associate together in a clannish way; to act with
   others secretly to gain a desired end; to plot; -- used with
   together

Underground too implies a criminality that is not apropos.

Underground \Un"der*ground`\, a.
   1. Being below the surface of the ground; as, an underground
      story or apartment.

   2. Done or occurring out of sight; secret. [Colloq.]

If perhaps you'd said a private discussion group, where people can talk
amongst like minded peers, it would have been a more truthful statement.

As for private, yes it is indeed private.  I try to keep my house open
to all, but not all my discussions are open.

I am sorry for the delay in the response, but I had decided that you
letter was looking to start an argument.  And while I generally enjoy a
well-crafted exchange of ideas (I miss the old wolf/Baron Michael
Silverhands posts where have those two gone to?), I just didn't see
where any good could be accomplished by replying.

However, a friend published something today that made me reconsider, and
so I have.

Centurion Jean Paul de Sens

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com
http://www.nomadics.com

Earl Barn Silveraxe said:

"What exactly is the dream of the Griffins?  There have been alot of
rumors up north about it, so I figured I'd be the guinea pig and just
ask."

And
"Some of us who were living in the North at the time understood it to be
an
'underground' prinicipality clique who had thier own yahoo group that
you
had to be sponsored and approved to join.  That was the last I heard of
it.
Interesting to see that its still around, but I'm surprised someone from
the central region was the only one to respond and that no one from that
group stepped in to explain what it's all about."

Barn

---