[Ansteorra] gulf wars idea

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Thu Feb 7 08:32:31 PST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 04:15:40 -0800 (PST) Mahee <mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com>
writes:
> First let me say that I specialize in dumb ideas, so this might very
> well be one of them.
>
> I was watching a show the other saturday about people who build
> houses
> our of hay bails. Yes houses. They slap plaster on the outside of
> the
> bail when it is done, or other stuff to make it look nice. But...

        I have seen this done. Yard walls made of hay bails covered with
chicken wire and coated with stucco are fairly common in central New
Mexico. It works, it's easy and cheap, and it makes a fairly solid wall.
My only caveat is this:
        Where this is common practice is in a high desert. In a wetter
climate, I think you might have to worry about the hay wicking moisture
up from the ground, and then your wall would rot from the inside out.
        Worth checking into, though.

      In Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon