[Ansteorra] gulf wars idea

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Mon Feb 11 18:53:28 PST 2002

Aurore Gaudin wrote:

> --
> I don't mean to rain on the parade for this idea, but another thought is wet hay can go up in smoke just as well as dry hay.  Spontanous combunstion has been known to start in wet hay.  I've seen it happen.  Lampasas River flooded and the barn and winter hay was close enough to go underwater.  Water went down and 3 days later, its on fire.  I won't believe wet hay catching fire if I hadn't seen it for myself.  From my understanding, the wall will only be one bale thick, that alone shouldn't be enough to worry about, but this maybe something to watch out for just in case.  Just two cents worth of thought.  Aurore

The joys of composting <G>
Anaerobic bacteria start working, producing heat, enough to dry the
center of the bales.

Insulation factor of the hay is high enough to contain the heat, as
the anaerobic decomposition continues at the outer edge of the growing
sphere of dry, powdered hay and accelerates due to the elevated
temperature.  Process also produced methane.  After awhile, the center
of the sphere reaches the auto ignition point (possibly as low as 200
F, depending on fuel/air mixture, and starts to smolder, producing
charcoal powder.  Flame front finally reaches open air, and you have
flaming "wet" hay.

David Gallowglass