[Ansteorra] Kansas State historical society bans re-enactments of war or violence

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Wed Feb 27 15:01:00 PST 2002

AARRGGHHHH!  Revisionist historians do vex me!  Whether sanitizing the
violence out of history or saying the Civil War was fought to end
slavery, both these guys need to cash in their agendas and buy a clue!
History is the story of conflict and confrontation in the quest for power
and control -- and history is inherently violent.  Besides, who wants to
watch re-enactments of accountants and bureaucrats at thirty paces? :<)
Letting people learn how we got where we are and why some things are
worth fighting for does not promote or glorify violence.

Since most SCA activities are not intended to be historically accurate
re-enactments of specific battles,  I would think that Kansas should
allow events as martial arts demonstrations.  We shed less blood than the
stylized violence of games like football.

How will the hell of Sept. 11 be conveyed to Kansas school children 100
years from now?  In order not to frighten the children, maybe they will
say some unpleasant gentlemen bumped some airplanes into some big
buildings and they fell down, and some Americans had difficulty
controlling their anger.

Hey, Kansas, you're not in Oz anymore!

(Thanks.  I feel better now.)  And thanks to Burke for bringing this to
our attention.

Joanna