[Ansteorra] re: Kansas State Historical Association (etc)

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:13:07 PST 2002

I was interested in discovering the truthfullness of the story as well.  I
found that a Baron in Calontir had posted a similar but different story from
another news paper to a public forum.  So I went to the site for Fort Scott.
  I sent an email to the email address listed, and in VERY short order, got
a personal phone call from John Daugherty, the Superintendant of Fort Scott.
  I was very impressed.

A)  The policy against this "reenactment that involves exchanges of fire,
hand to hand combat and casualties" has always been against national parks
policy.  I asked him about Gettysburgh, and he assured me that those
reenactmetns do NOT happen on the proper grounds of the park.

B)  The policy is largely due to two things.  1.  The extreme liability due
to the dangers inherant with the firing of weapons.  2.  They don't feel
that it's proper to do that kind of activity essentially on memorial
grounds.

He DID INDEED tell me that both the story from the KC Star that Burke
initially posted and the followup story in the Wichita Eagle in which Mr.
John Daugherty was quoted existed.  What seems to be the case is that the
initial story quoting Raymond (forgot his last name) was taken a bit out of
context.  They decided to align their state parks policy to be in line with
the National Parks policy.  Mr. John Daugherty felt his quotes were taken
out of context in the followup story in the Eagle.

Just info as I found it.  Mr. John Daugherty seemed very reasonable, and a
truely interested historian.

Yours in Service,
Lord Morgan Buchanana