[Ansteorra] Historical Gerrymandering

KTMC- AM 14 & KTMC-FM ROCK 105.1 ktmc at icok.net
Thu Feb 28 17:53:32 PST 2002

Well, Historical revisionsism, or Omission!
   Acknowledging the definition Diarmaid gave concerning historical
revisionism, and  I agree with much of the point of (unaware of what
proper higher title that should be used in the case of) Lady Katren's, I
would also offer the following;
   I think the 'perception' of historical revisionism is one of
deliberately falsifying or minimizing events that are Known to have
occurred, for the furtherance of a political, social, or 'moral' agenda.

   That, rather than an alternative view of how past events went from
another historical perspective, is an attempt at deliberate
falsification and/or watering down of history.
   As such, the deliberate downplaying of actual events in our past for
the furtherance of a goal, when the truth is known, is lying and/or
misleading.
   On something else Diarmaid psoted concerning, the data from different
sources and flawed versions of events is indeed something to think
about. I am one of those who believes in absolute truths, and that
looking at historical data helps one benefits in determining the 'most
likely' chain of events in an instance. OTOH, I think all writers of
general history have a margin of favoritism/bias (hopefully minimal and
one the writer attempts to guard against, and perhaos even an
unconscious one) that can 'color' their perspective of events. Thus, the
multiple perspectives is beneficiaL
   Although OOP for our group, for World War II, I find it intersting to
look at American, English, and German authors' writings (and there
should be other beneficial one in non-English translated works as well.)

   Valstarr Hawkwind