[Ansteorra] Light fighting armor help!

Mr. and Mrs. Fryday fryday at swbell.net
Wed Jan 2 14:53:24 PST 2002

All of the web sites out there are great if you have the money. My advice
would be to get an old duster to cut into your own pattern. You can make a
garment with long or short sleeves from the same pattern by folding the
material to your preferred length. If you don't have a duster try picking up
a modern vest pattern and altering it to meet SCA requirements. They don't
cost much and are easy to put together. It would be more cost effective if
you can make your armor yourself but there may be a sewing guild near you
that would offer some assistance. They may even have patterns you could use.
    I spent too much to get armor made, (Armor that I rarely wear.) I found
that a modern fencing jacket, under garb works well for a person just
starting out. As you learn more and have time you can make your armor. Try
to start out with the lightest armor that will pass a punch test. The summer
can get real hot and can cause heat injuries. After a while you may want to
get heavier equipment for winter.
    Lastly, try to focus on function rather than form. If your armor looks
great but is hard to move in you'll wind up tossing it. Remember that being
safe is the most important part of playing the game so make sure you get
some help with any armor you make yourself. Talk to the regional rapier
marshal or other official and take notes!

Command the Blade!,
Gassion de Beaumarchais