[Ansteorra] Light fighting armor help!

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Wed Jan 2 07:52:53 PST 2002

My advice is not to buy a Triplette SCA starter set unless you have lots of
money (don't see $200.00 as an investment), hardly ever fight, or absolutely no
where to turn for help with making something that actually looks vaguely period
(which this tunic does not).  Here's what Triplette says about it:

SCA LIGHT WEAPONS FIGHTER STARTER SETS are intended to get the beginning fighter
out on
                        the field as quickly and as cheaply as possible. I'd
like to think that no one who buys a starter set will
                        have any of it left in a year, except for the mask. You
really ought to have improved your own gear, and
                        given away these pieces to a newcomer.

If the company is saying that they hope you have none of it left in a year,
except for the mask, this is NOT a ringing endorsement for its use/popularity in
the SCA (particularly in this kingdom).  If someone does buy and use it, then
fine...we're happy to have them fighting with us.  But I generally regret it
greatly when some new person invests in this kit, for I believe that someone's
not going to quickly dump a tunic on which they've spent good money.
Also...don't go nuts and buy their ugly, big-salad-bowl "Maximum hand
protection" R7, never-seen-anywhere-in history, theatrical rapier.  The R8 is
much better and much more accepted within in the rapier community.   In fact,
you might want to consider initially buying the R8 rather than a modern epee
bowl-based weapon...

Dona Isobel (darn, where are those ascii tilde things when you need one???  ;)
)