[Ansteorra] sewing trim help

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Fri Jan 4 16:04:45 PST 2002

Yes. First wash the trim (best in a net bag like you would use to wash
stockings & pantyhose) and dry in the dryer.  Then when the trim is dry, iron
it flat.  A great way to attach it to the surface you are sewing it to is
Wonderunder (fusible stuff on a paper backing) which comes in rolls as well as
sheets in fabric stores.  Iron the fusible side to the wrong side of trim.
When cool, peel off the paper backing.  Lay the trim along the neckline or
cuffs or hem edge at whatever place you want it to be.
Do it slowly, a couple of inches at a time.  When you come to where you began,
lay
a folded edge over the raw edge.
    This is the IMPORTANT part:  When you are sewing the trim down, sew the
side at the widest arc FIRST.  This is critical.  If you do not do this side
first, no matter how carefully you've pressed it or pinned it or glued it, it
WILL bunch up wrong and look bad.  On necklines, it will change the neckline to
look like a turtleneck.  I kid you not.  This means at necklines, you must sew
the side farthest from the egde first, on sleeves and hems the side closest to
the edge first.  Then go up the folded edge where you joined to your beginning
and sew the smaller arc, slowly easing the excess in or pleating if necessary
at several points that are between
the main design elements.  This method also works with commercial bias tape.
    If you always sew the top of the arc first, you will have a nice trim
effect.

Baroness Catrin