[Ansteorra] Re: Encorporating Newcomers

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Tue Jan 1 13:15:45 PST 2002

>Hospitallers can use activity list as a tool to help keep new folks involved.
>  An email, phone call, or hand out at group gatherings.  Yes, I know we have
>web sites that people can bring up and look at.  I have those sites
>bookmarked too, but with my busy schedule, I simply don't look at them that
>often.  Besides, how much more "personal" it would be to get a message from
>the Hospitaller listing the months activities such as guild meetings, revels,
>work weekends, group meetings, fighter practices, etc.  I would like to have
>a monthly list like this, and I am an established member moving in from
>another shire.

>Thank you for allowing me to put forth my two pence.
>In Service to The Dream,
>Lady Viviana

I hope you are able to find a way to become involved in your new location,
move and change can be a very difficult thing.  We were in the Army for 10
years and got very used to it, but you never knew what you would find at
each new place and even in organizations with the same overall structure
like the SCA and Girl Scouting (which we were involved in at the time) even
though they are similar, they were very different intities at each place.

One of the things I have found to keep people abreast of what is going on
locally is a reminder's list for newcomers and anyone else who wants to be
subscribed.  I use Yahoo and keep a basic calendar there and it sends out
auto reminders for different activities going on locally and I also send
out any messages, reminders or just notes to the ones who are new and want
to be there.  I was finding it was eating all of my time responding to
everything one on one and trying to let people know what was coming up when
and so forth, this has worked great in addition to the fact it reminds me
of when things are. Anytime anyone has anything of a personal nature to
ask, they write me and it is handled that way.

One of the biggest challenges as a hospitaller has been finding the balence
between those who need alot of efforts toward incorporation and those who
don't want to be pushed.  I have also been working on finding those who
have been sitting out for awhile and want back in, but don't have the time
to do what they did before- to find a new way to be involved and that has
been great.

Best wishes to you in this new year,

Susan the Curious
Hospitaller