[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra digest, Vol 1 #296 - 9 msgs

Gormlaith4444 at aol.com Gormlaith4444 at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 12:36:21 PST 2002

Thank you for your responses.

I appreciate your thoughts and replies.  I think due to life and Society
experiences some of what I meant to say may have been interpreted differently
when compared to what I meant in my own mind, thoughts and experiences.  This
is a good thing.  It means people have thought about what I and others are
writing and applied it to their own lives and experiences.  Even though we
all dwell in the same Dream, our experiences and how we interpret them are
all unique, as it should be.

Please understand that I would not presume that monitorship should be the
soul or major responsibility of nobility, nor would I feel it was appropriate
for nobility or hospitallers to tackle that responsibility alone. Only that
they might consider participating.  They are busy folks and accomplish more
than most of us would hope to able to accomplish in five life times.

Now to continue my thoughts. How many new folks should a mentor take on
anyway?  Surely not more than one person at a time, and surely not one right
after the other.  That can be a burn out waiting to happen.  I feel as
Lightfoot put it, that the job belongs to all members.  However, I plead that
nobles might consider playing a part for many reasons.  One important reason
being; it would send out the message to everyone that they are approachable.
What would it mean to a new person for a noble to mentor him or her?  What
would it mean to a noble to mentor a new member?  What might a noble person
learn from a new comer?  The experience might end up to be rewarding and
educational for all parties involved, allowing for the occasional disaster of
course.  O course, consider the occasional disaster will happen rather the
mentor be a Nobel or Society member.

How much time would be involved?  What kind of commitment would it mean?  I
suppose that would be up to the individual mentor and what they feel is
appropriate of the personal demands on their time.  For most it would
probably involve a few months of answering questions and active participation
in another person's Society life.  And then you either have made a new
friend, or the new person has become assimilated enough to have made new
bonds with other Society members.

Monitorship is just a thought to be considered.  It might be right for some
groups and inappropriate for others.  Even if a group is not interested in
the monitorship approach, individuals can always extend a helping hand, and
take a personal involvement approach in a new person's Societal life.

"Damage control," I agree there are those who probably would not do very well
in this area.  However, as many officers can tell you, mistakes often have
natural consequences, which can be excellent learning tools.  Personally, I
would rather see someone trying, and not doing a very good job, than the
Society be loosing members because there was no attempt made at all.
Mistakes are made everyday. Is the area of damage control any different?
There are those who just need the opportunity to learn, and sometimes that
comes in the form of mistakes.  Sometimes it comes in the form of talent.
However, some of us are not as talented in feather smoothing as others, but
that doesn't mean we can't learn.  Nor should we not be afforded the
opportunity to learn due to the fear of making mistakes. If this were true,
non of us would be raising a sword, or taking an office, managing events, or
accepting the responsibilities that comes with accepting awards and peerage.
Try looking at it this way; either way, "trying" or "avoiding" we take the
chance of loosing members, which way would be more to the benefit of the
individuals, groups, or the Society?

Thank you once again for reading what I have written; for agreeing or
disagreeing.  Either way, we all become stronger members, for thinking about
and considering what each other has to say.

A last note. In editing what I have written, perhaps it is time to put my own
fears aside, take my own words to heart, and begin to become involved again.
A new place, a new life, new people to meet.  The side lines have become
comfortable, time to leave the comfort zone.  Even though I may put it aside
from time to time, the Dream never dies once it becomes so much a part of
you.

Good life, and Good Dream be with you,
Play well my friends.
Lady Viviana