[Fwd: Re: Fw: [Ansteorra] Branch Champions responsibilities and privileges]

MGreene at mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Mon Jan 28 15:03:07 PST 2002

Forwarded to list by request.
Hillary
---------------------- Forwarded by Marsha Greene/MIS/Houston/MPAN on
01/28/2002 04:58 PM ---------------------------
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:59:35 -0600
From: "Bill C. Burgin" <ericus at swbell.net>
> > After a conversation this weekend at Seawinds on the responsibilities
and
> > privileges of the branch champions, I decided to post to the list to
see
> > what thoughts were found there.

    There is so much more to being a Champion than standing behind the
person, usually.  Or, put another way, the obligation is to stand behind
them
all the time: in Court, at field-side, during meetings, when they need you,
in
your head.
    Of course, the degree to which this is done will vary with the
desires of the person to whom one is Champion.  Some may want no more than
a Court
presence.  If that's what they want, that's what they get.  Some want a
companion, escort, inside introduction to a community they may not know
much about, etc.  Again, if that's what they want...  After all, you have
agreed to be THEIR Champion.  This tournament you won was for the right to
be
THEIRS for a year.  If you entered it with any other idea in mind - like
adding
another win to your resume', or impressing someone "up the ladder," or for
any
reason other than an honest desire to serve THAT person, or THAT group,
then
you have entered under false pretenses - to yourself, and your potential
patron.
That term of service you have dedicated (ideally) to the glory of your
patron, not your self.
    Pay attention to them.  Learn about them.  Make a friend.  Be a
confidant - a trustworthy one.  Help lighten the load this person carries.
These
things are also the best benefits you will get from the job.  Remember, we
are
in a people hobby.
    I have been Champion to a Queen, and did a bad job.   From that I
learned how to do a good job, and have served several Baronies since that
time -
successfully, I believe.  I have also been a Landed Baron, so I have
seen this subject from both sides.
    I hope my perspective has been of some benefit to someone.
 Good Luck,
    Ericus the Silverhand, WSA
    Bordermarch