[Ansteorra] RE: Late Black Stars

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 5 10:55:09 PDT 2002

I received mine last week - since I get my newsletters Third Class, they
take longer to arrive than those who get them First Class.

If you have NOT gotten your newsletter, be sure to contact the Kingdom
Chronicler about it!  There are many factors that delay delivery:

1)  The Post Office.  Just naturally.  A temp is filling in the route, and
doesn't want to delivery third-class mail.  Weather blocks delivery of all
but the most critical items.  The third-class is eaten by a Great Black
Hole (we had this problem in the Midrealm, traced it to one particular P.O.
through which, unfortunately, most of the newsletters had to funnel given
where they were mailed).  Since Third-Class mail is often delivered on an
"as available" basis, although delivery should be within a stated
timeframe, there are all kinds of reasons why they get delayed.

2)  Did you move and forget to tell the SCA Corporate Office in Milpitas
your new address?  They are the ones who supply the mailing labels to the
Kingdom Chronicler, so if they don't have the correct address, neither will
he.

3)  Did your membership lapse and you didn't notice?  Or did you send in
the renewal too late, and it skipped a month?

4)  Someone else in the household snagged the newsletter before you could
see it, and it's in their vehicle/room/basket/pile-o'-stuff.

5)  Your copy was eaten by something.  Occasionally a half of a newsletter
shows up in one of those plastic apology envelopes, having been chewed by
some postal machinery.

So, always check an older issue for your membership status.  Ask people in
your local group if they got theirs.  If others have the newsletter, and
your membership is in order, and you haven't moved - mention it to the
Kingdom Chronicler.  He can look into it, and might have an extra lying
around to send as a replacement.  If enough people in the same area have a
complaint, or with some other consistent determinant, the KC can take it up
with the Post Office about delivery.

                              ---= Morgan, former Chronicler

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                     ---= Thomas Paine