[Ansteorra] Florence's florins and Rome's ducats

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 16 20:16:49 PDT 2002

Greetings folks,

I recieved this question yesterday. If anyone can answer her question
could you please send her the answer? Please remember that she is
not on this list, so send an email or cc her at: LHsu at getty.edu
I would also appreciate a copy to add to the Florilegium. Then the
answer will be available for others.

Thanks,
   Stefan

-------------

Dear Lord Stefan li Rous,
I stumbled upon your website while doing research on ancient currency.  I am wondering if I can post a problem on your website or if you might be able to help me with it.  I am trying to find out the conversion rate between Florence's florins and Rome's ducats between 1450 and 1550.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Lillian Hsu
-------------

I pointed her to the files I had in the Florilegium that might have
her answer but her reply was:

-------------

Thank you for the files.  They were very helpful.  However, I still need a
little more information on the exchange rates at the time.  I've read through
numerous resources online, but have not been able to come to any definite
conclusions.  I would really appreciate it if you could forward this problem to
your mail lists:

What were the exchange rates between Roman ducats and giuliii to Florentine
florins from 1450-1550?  (This question is part of a research project on the
sale of gems between Rome and other Italian cities.)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net