[Ansteorra] Just a question

Susan Bowen philippa at ev1.net
Thu Jul 18 17:46:45 PDT 2002

To add a bit to what has been said in other posts:
It is my understanding that a Court Baron/ess can't hold a court where
"official" business takes place (i.e.. giving awards of arms) unless they
have permission from the crown. I would not hold a court in my own barony,
Stargate, without the permission of our landed nobles. They have asked me to
hold court several times to give out "event" awards for the winners of the
tourney, etc. when they have been unable to attend.

To list some of the duties of the Landed Baron/ess:
They are the crown's representatives to their barony and their barony's
representatives to the crown.
They are to hold courts and recognize their people for their hard work and
accomplishments.
They may give awards carrying precedence such as AoA's with the permission
of the crown. (These awards are always signed by the crown.)
They may give their Baronial service awards under their own signature.
They attend Coronation and swear fealty to the crown for the lands they hold
in fief.
They work with the baronial officers to help see that things run smoothly in
their barony.

I have been both a landed baroness and a court baroness, and court baroness
is a lot less work, but I wouldn't trade having been landed for anything.
In service to Ansteorra,
Baroness Philippa Rookhaven
Baroness of the Court of Ansteorra